Search This Blog

We no longer use this blog! Please visit sakistore.net for our blog, online store, and more!

Sunday, February 27

The Stock Exchange, works of Chris Stock @ saki!

Opening Friday March 11, 6-9 PM
Hors d'oeuvres and beverages provided by saki.




Chicago, IL February 22, 2011 — saki, Logan Square’s premier record store, art gallery and performance space is proud to debut the work of local artist Chris Stock. Throughout March, saki will be hosting The Stock Exchange; a never before seen collection of sketches and paintings. Whether it was created with ink, acrylic, watercolor or oil paints, Stock’s work exhibits a reality that has been skewed and exaggerated by satire. His subtle use of phrasing combines vibrant images with comedic irony. Stock’s illustrations merge the style of Quentin Blake with the Gonzo that is Ralph Steadman.

Born in St. Louis, Missouri, Chris Stock currently resides in Chicago’s Uptown neighborhood. Starting out as a graphic design student, Stock has filled countless sketchbooks with urban scenes, characters, and even a visually instructional diagram on how to successfully repot plants. The Stock Exchange includes pieces created on paper, canvas, and even a recycled skateboard.

ARTIST’S STATEMENT
I make art based simply on observation. Whether drawing from life, or my perception of life, creating helps me taste the moment, making life much more vivid. I try to shine some natural light on a not so natural world. My art has led to our ironic disconnect to the earth, or perhaps applaud those who have stuck to their roots. I look for the “character” in all things. Even a plain chair has a personality if believed to have one. I enjoy having this intimacy with the world. This gives both my art and my life more layers of possibilities. Since my move to Chicago, I’ve been focused mainly on the Uptown neighborhood. An interesting place indeed. Between the shootings, crooked cops, crack deals, and questionable business, there are great people in Uptown. I’m glad to be a part of it. Come on up!”

The opening event on Friday, March 11th will include a musical performance by Chicago’s own six piece acoustic band, Heat Birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice!