Search This Blog

We no longer use this blog! Please visit sakistore.net for our blog, online store, and more!

Wednesday, May 18

Tara Key's Elemental!

We're proud to announce the amazing transformation of our space for the exhibition of Tara Key's art show, Elemental. Tara is best known as the fiery guitarist of indie rock stalwarts, Antietam. She will be showing another side of her ferociously artistic personality at saki for the month of June 2011.

Elemental: Photographs and Paintings from 1985-2011, will open Friday, June 3rd. The event will be held from 6pm to 8pm. Beverages & hors d’oeuvres will be provided by saki!


Key’s paintings and photographs have frequently been used as the artwork for Antietam’s nine releases, her two solo records, and two collaborations with Eleventh Dream Day’s, Rick Rizzo, spanning 25 years. This show marks the first time her eye has trumped her sound in public. Come and see how Ms. Key transforms saki into a living, breathing, elemental piece of art!

Born in Louisville, KY just before the launch of Sputnik, Ms. Key spent the summer of 1974 as a student at Parsons School of Design in NYC. Returning to Louisville, she attended the Louisville School of Art, where her intent to be a painter was hijacked by the lure of playing punk rock.


ARTIST’S STATEMENT

As a pre-teen, I picked up a paintbrush and opened my lenses when I first felt I had something to say. I bartered the brush for an electric guitar at art school. My goal from here on out is to make them co-exist peaceably.

I just like looking through windows and narrowing down the range to the peephole. I enjoy a good vista as much as anyone, but I find myself drawn more to the pieces of the whole: casually perfect groupings of buffeted quartz at Montauk, menacing Mammatus clouds, the inverse tattoo of a severe storm, lines mowed in a field, and trees symmetrically missing their limbs - reflections have a say in the way it all looks.

When I was sixteen, I exhibited drawings I made the morning after a tornado sliced my neighborhood in half. This is my second show.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice!