Search This Blog

We no longer use this blog! Please visit sakistore.net for our blog, online store, and more!

Wednesday, August 8

The Believer Music Issue 2012

As a magazine, the Believer is always a little hit or miss for my taste. Most issues I've bought have had some really great article/essays, but just as many cloying and overly pretentious ones. For that reason, I've never subscribed. One issue that I never pass up, however, is the annual music issue. It always comes with a handpicked mix CD, often on a certain theme, as well as a solid collection of writings from authors famous, not-so-famous, and altogether unknown.

This year's music issue features a mixtape handpicked by Calvin Johnson (K Records, Beat Happening, Dub Narcotic Sound System, Halo Benders). I can't say for sure, but I'd be surprised if all the bands on it weren't from the Pacific Northwest. It boasts tracks from Broken Water, Ruby Fray, White Rainbow, Priests & a band that saki is presenting at The Burlington early next month, The Shivas! I'm only halfway through the articles, but so far I've read more than I ever thought I would about Steely Dan & Wes Borland from Limp Bizkit, an incredible story about a town called Love Valley in North Carolina & the misguided music festival that they hosted post-Woodstock, and the section I always skip straight to - Sedaratives - guest-answered by that dude from Flight of the Conchords, you know, the tall ugly one.

I'll be working my way through the rest of it tonight, but we've got 2 more copies in the shop if anyone wants to join me. They're $12 unless you're a Canadian, in which case it says I have to charge you $13. Must be a border crossing fee or something...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice!