Search This Blog

We no longer use this blog! Please visit sakistore.net for our blog, online store, and more!

Monday, October 25

more sad news...

2 notable demises today to report, sadly, The first is the passing of Gregory Isaacs, who's "Night Nurse" is still widely considered a seminal reggae track. I remember John Peel loving this track and playing it all the time, thus making it one of my all-time faves, up their with "Another One Bites The Dust" from Clint Eastwood & General Saint and assorted Eek-A-Mouse and Yellowman greats. Then Sony announced the discontinuation on the Walkman. Now a museum piece, this tiny gadget was a phenomenal breakthrough for music lovers. I remember when my classmate Theo brought in his new Stowaway (the UK version of the US Soundabout, prior to Walkman) and I was an instant convert. I got a bright red Walkman II for Xmas that same year, which was the one that was just a little bigger than an actual cassette case, and music was never the same for me again. Now it was a constant companion, accompanying me on journeys far and wide, keeping me safe with it's familiar sounds...man, I feel old!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice!