Search This Blog

We no longer use this blog! Please visit sakistore.net for our blog, online store, and more!

Thursday, May 9

Handsome Family "Wilderness" Release Party 5/4/13


Handsome Family "Wilderness" Release Party, Albuquerque, NM 5-4-13 47The Handsome Family soundchecking with "Octopus" before their ABQ release party.Handsome Family "Wilderness" Release Party, Albuquerque, NM 5-4-13 2Handsome Family "Wilderness" Release Party, Albuquerque, NM 5-4-13 3Handsome Family "Wilderness" Release Party, Albuquerque, NM 5-4-13 4Handsome Family "Wilderness" Release Party, Albuquerque, NM 5-4-13 1
Handsome Family "Wilderness" Release Party, Albuquerque, NM 5-4-13 5Handsome Family "Wilderness" Release Party, Albuquerque, NM 5-4-13 6Handsome Family "Wilderness" Release Party, Albuquerque, NM 5-4-13 7Next Three MilesPawn DriveHandsome Family "Wilderness" Release Party, Albuquerque, NM 5-4-13 8
Handsome Family "Wilderness" Release Party, Albuquerque, NM 5-4-13 9Handsome Family "Wilderness" Release Party, Albuquerque, NM 5-4-13 10Handsome Family "Wilderness" Release Party, Albuquerque, NM 5-4-13 11Handsome Family "Wilderness" Release Party, Albuquerque, NM 5-4-13 12Handsome Family "Wilderness" Release Party, Albuquerque, NM 5-4-13 13Handsome Family "Wilderness" Release Party, Albuquerque, NM 5-4-13 14
See the full set here: Handsome Family "Wilderness" Release Party 5/4/13, a set on Flickr.
at Low Spirits BBQ

Brett and Rennie and band were great, with the mandolin and pedal steel work of David Gutierrez a particular stand out. We found it interesting that they chose to alternate old songs with new ones, which means that you're never in for a 20 minutes stretch of songs you don't really know. I know them, but in most cases the audience usually doesn't, so this keeps you interested.

One of the most captivating moments was when Brett sang the new song, "Glowworm," which follows the singer's path boating through Hades to steal the light from the center of the world, or something like that. Brett sings this song in a baritone so low that I expected a herd of elephants and whales to be waiting for us outside the club

I had wedged myself back behind everybody just in front of the sound booth so I could get some whole stage shots. I had gotten those shots and had put my camera down and was just sort of digging the band when I saw Brett point out at the glowworm in the darkness. I said, "OH SHIT!" audibly, and quickly fumbled for my camera and just hit the button. I am so glad that it came in at any kind of focus. I also love Rennie's smile here.






I took almost 1000 pictures at this show, which is a record for me, but I was having such a great time seeing them in this small club that I couldn't stop. Thankfully, nobody trounced me.

Brett playing guitar

Rennie playing banjo.

I cannot wait for their summer US tour. Chicago is in for a treat, as we learned that the band for their Millennium Park show on July 22 will include David Gutierrez!

Set list:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice!